[mythtv-users] Transcoding using x264 ffmpeg ubuntu?

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:10:47 UTC 2009

> I dug up a mencoder line I've used to transcode BBC HD to x264 and
> surround sound (AC3), it does a resize to 720p and reduces a 9GB at 1920
> x 1080 to about 700mb at 1280x720

> On a decent spec quad core takes about 2.5 hours per pass (I could
> probably further optimise the options but this works!!)

Thanks, I'm just transcoding from SD DVB-T content (UK). I've been
using the standard MPEG-4 transcoders and my 30 minute shows have been
around 280MB. But, I've not really liked the sound quality, and I'd
also like to use H264 so I can use VDPAU for playback. I assumed it
would be easier to use nuvexport so I can automate it from mythtv and
keep the cutlist.

Thanks for your mencoder command line, I'll experiment with it.

Jonny