[mythtv-users] Transcoding using x264 ffmpeg ubuntu?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun May 10 14:31:30 UTC 2009

2009/5/10 Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com>:

>>> All bits including sources, patches etc. are here:
>>>
>>> http://atrpms.net/name/ffmpeg/
>>>

>> Hi Axel,
>>
>> Thanks for that (I didn't know I could extract the source like that).
>> I've extracted it, and I found the actual source code is the same as
>> the code I was using.
>>
>> Does anybody have a version of ffmpeg which is compatible with
>> nuvexport and can transcode to h264 without the
>> "av_interleaved_write_frame(): Error while opening file?" Or is there
>> an easier way to transcode to h264 without using nuvexport?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jonny
>>

> Have you tried mencoder?
>
> Can you tell us a bit more about the source material (Resolution,
> Sound Format, Source....)
>
> Regards

I dug up a mencoder line I've used to transcode BBC HD to x264 and
surround sound (AC3), it does a resize to 720p and reduces a 9GB at 1920
x 1080 to about 700mb at 1280x720

mencoder -nosound -ovc x264 -x264encopts
subq=6:bitrate=2000:frame=3:pass=1 -vf scale=1280x720,softskip,harddup
-o /path/to/outputfile.pass1.h264 /path/to/masterinputfile

mencoder -channels 6 -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=384 -ovc
x264 -x264encopts  subq=6:bitrate=2000:frame=3:pass=2 -vf
scale=1280x720,softskip,harddup -o /path/to/outputfile.pass2.h264
/path/to/masterinputfile

This does a two pass convert, please note that you use the same
inputfile each time (/path/to/masterinputfile)

On a decent spec quad core takes about 2.5 hours per pass (I could
probably further optimise the options but this works!!)

Hope it's useful