No subject

Sun Mar 1 18:40:12 UTC 2009

> Thanks to all, I got it working.
> BEAUTIFUL picture.
>
> Now I have to dig thru my boxes in the garage and find a couple
> of 6ft Audio cables (either that or take up reading lips...)

Just a note of warning, as it appears you have a Sony Bravia.

If you connect an nVidia video card using any of the recent drivers to the
tv using an HDMI input, you won't be able to use the analog audio inputs
associated with that input. The nVidia driver reads the EDID of the TV and
recognizes that the TV is capable of receiving audio over HDMI and sends an
audio signal. If there is no SPDIF audio connected to your video card (or
you are using an older card that doesn't have an SPDIF input connector like
my 7300) then the driver will send a 'null' audio signal. Basically it is
fake audio data with zero volume level. The TV sees this as a valid digital
audio signal and favours it over the audio inputs, effectively disabling
them.

To get the analog audio ports to work, you will need to tell X to use a
custom EDID file rather than read the one from the TV. Instructions for
creating the custom EDID file can be found at http://analogbit.com/node/23
along with instructions for implementing it. I'm not sure what TV you
actually have, but I've got a modified EDID file for a Sony 52XBR6 that
works great for me. You are welcome to it, if you want.

Shawn Flynn