[mythtv-users] Help configure my pcTV 800i tuner!

Mike Adolf mlnx at mho.com
Tue Mar 31 19:41:47 UTC 2009

Johnny wrote:
>> Back to Mythtv configuration:
>> 1) General: Under local settings/TV formats there is no option to select
>> ATSC ??
>> 2) Capture Card Setup
>>      Card Type = DBV DTV ...... (v3.x)
>>      Device # = 0
>>      Front End Id = Samsung S5H1490 QAM Subtype ATSC (Don't know what this
>> means)
>>

> This card shows up this way because the chip is Samsung or is the same
> as a Samsung device.
>

>>      "There is no Input Field from which to select Television (when Card
>> Type is DVB)"
>> 3) Input Connection (This seem to be where the problem is)
>>      Capture device = [DVD:0]
>>      Input = DVB Input
>>      Video source = (NONE) ----- WITH NO OTHER SELECTIONS!
>>      Scan for Channels Button is Disabled.
>>

> In my setup and in the wiki
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:MythTV_structure) #3 is Video
> Sources and #4 is Input Connections in mythtv-setup. The video source
> is not related directly to the card. You set up video sources
> separately in mythtv-setup. You could use a single video source for
> multiple tuner cards. If you had schedules direct, then you would set
> that up as a video source. Then it would show up as an option when you
> setup the input connection. You can try out the 1 week trial with SD
> for free, or you could setup a video source that used EIT. EIT
> probably won't give you the guide data you need, but it would allow
> you have a proper US-BCAST video source so you can scan for channels.
>
> Also have you checked dmesg to make sure the firmware and driver are
> the output should look like:
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_Card_%28800i%29. I
> would run 'dmesg | grep xc5000' and I would grep cx88 and grep dvb to
> see if there are any errors.

Johnny,

Sorry for the confusion. My numbering is just question numbers. My setup
menu appears the same as yours.

I looked at the section of dmesg sampled in the wiki and compaired it to
mine.  They are not identical but mine is very simlilar and has no
errors.  I'll send it if you would like to see it.

About the video source, my selections are NONE and blank.  When I select
NONE, the Scan For Channels is disabled. When I select 'blank', the Scan
For Channels is enabled.  In fact, I configured the card as analogue and
got it to work with video device = /dev/video0 and audio device =
/dev/dsp2.  When using mythfrontend/Watch TV it scales the image to my
full screen and it is not very clear. I went back and configured a
second capture card for VDB and scanned for more channels, it found some
but not all. After starting the mythbackend, filling the database, I
started the frontend. However, when I tried to Watch TV, the screen went
black and then returned to the frontend main screen.  So I removed all
capture card configurations and added the analogue config again.  That's
where I now stand, still trying to get DVB!

Mike