[mythtv-users] Help configure my pcTV 800i tuner!

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 12:10:59 UTC 2009

> Back to Mythtv configuration:
> 1) General: Under local settings/TV formats there is no option to select
> ATSC ??
> 2) Capture Card Setup
>      Card Type = DBV DTV ...... (v3.x)
>      Device # = 0
>      Front End Id = Samsung S5H1490 QAM Subtype ATSC (Don't know what this
> means)

This card shows up this way because the chip is Samsung or is the same
as a Samsung device.

>      "There is no Input Field from which to select Television (when Card
> Type is DVB)"
> 3) Input Connection (This seem to be where the problem is)
>      Capture device = [DVD:0]
>      Input = DVB Input
>      Video source = (NONE) ----- WITH NO OTHER SELECTIONS!
>      Scan for Channels Button is Disabled.

In my setup and in the wiki
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:MythTV_structure) #3 is Video
Sources and #4 is Input Connections in mythtv-setup. The video source
is not related directly to the card. You set up video sources
separately in mythtv-setup. You could use a single video source for
multiple tuner cards. If you had schedules direct, then you would set
that up as a video source. Then it would show up as an option when you
setup the input connection. You can try out the 1 week trial with SD
for free, or you could setup a video source that used EIT. EIT
probably won't give you the guide data you need, but it would allow
you have a proper US-BCAST video source so you can scan for channels.

Also have you checked dmesg to make sure the firmware and driver are
the output should look like:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_Card_%28800i%29. I
would run 'dmesg | grep xc5000' and I would grep cx88 and grep dvb to
see if there are any errors.