[mythtv-users] Help configure my pcTV 800i tuner!

Gordon McLellan gordonthree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:33:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Mike Adolf <mlnx at mho.com> wrote:
> I have recently installed MythTV .21 svn/fixes on my DELL under Ubuntu 8.10.
> Now I am having problems configuring my pcTV 800i dual tuner.  My first
> attempt is to configure it as just an analogue v4l card.  When I do so it
> lists the tuner as retrieved info on the configuration page, so it does see
> the card.
>
> 1) Is signing up for a XMLTV account a requirement for mythtv to work?

Only if you're not pulling in listings from someplace else already.
My box has two analog tuners in addition to the 800i.  So I have the
800i configured for no grabber, and map channels it found to XMLIDs
from the listings pulled down by the other tuners.  I have both the
analog and DVB sides of the card setup, as two separate cards.  The
Myth docs say not to do this, that instead I should click the "analog
setup" button from inside the dvb setup screen.  Problem is, I don't
have an analog setup button inside the dvb screen.  Works just fine
setup as two separate cards - just make sure to setup an Input Group
and have both the analog and digital portions as members of that
group.

> 2) Why is the Scan For Channels selection always disabled?

You have to set your connection to the "Television" input; as the
svideo and composite inputs have no tuner.  The Television input has a
scan for channels button.

Of course, this assumes your card is working properly.

Under Ubuntu 8.10, after I downloaded the firmware, it "just works".

-Gordon