[mythtv-users] Looking for Bluetooth/wireless keyboard

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 07:40:17 UTC 2009

2009/3/27 Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com>:
> I'm looking to grab one, can anyone vouch for specific models? Also, I've
> used bluetooth with varying degrees of success in linux, how solid is it for
> an everyday desktop box (not just FE in the living room and whatnot)? Would
> it be recommended to instead go with a regular wireless one?

I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard for myth, even got the mappings set
up so the row of function keys (volume, mute etc.) mostly work as
labeled within myth itself.  I have not figured out how to do that for
mplayer though, for videos and DVDs.  Would sure like to...

I wish it would glow in the dark though.  :-)  They could have at
least made the plastic UV reactive, so I could light up the couch area
with a few UV LEDs, but it's not.

Also got a Dell Bluetooth mouse, for doing other stuff on another
virtual desktop.  (Yes I can use them at the same time.)  The KB and
mouse both run on AA's, and low-self-discharge NiMH batteries work
fine too, so I expect to get many years of use out of the KB and mouse
while still being as "green" as possible (no disposable batteries and
no lithium-ions that wear out after 3 years or so).

Bluez's HID support is very different depending on which version you
use.  I have the latest of the 3.x series; didn't have much luck with
the 4.x series yet.  2.x was OK too, just different to set up.
Sometimes I have to do hidd --connect after rebooting, sometimes not.
But as long as I don't reboot, it keeps working.  The mouse has an
on-off switch, and when I turn it on, it re-connects pretty fast and
works fine.  The keyboard sleeps automatically, so the first keystroke
takes a few seconds.

I got a class 1 Bluetooth USB dongle, connected it via a USB extension
cable to the Myth box and mounted it near the ceiling, so I get really
good range - no trouble controlling Myth from anywhere that I can see
it.