[mythtv-users] Channel Script Timeout

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Tue Mar 24 14:37:32 UTC 2009

> On 24/03/2009, Scott Souter <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I am trying to find a way to leave my delays in my channel change
>> script
>> longer, but Live TV times out on me if I set them where I want.
>>
>>  I have a Dish/Expressvu 4100 Sat box and I use extra commands to ensure
>> that I don't get stuck in menus.
>>
>>  At the top I call a "cancel" to get out of any guide left on the screen
>>  Then I call "guide" to get out of any non-subscribed channels entered
>> by
>> accident
>>  Next is the standard channel change script
>>  After entering the channels, I press "select" twice to get out of the
>> guide
>>
>>  The delay that seems to work best in between each command and between
>> digits is 0.7.  With this delay I don't have enough time before Myth
>> times
>> out on the channel script.  I was considering using a background script
>> overcome this, but I don't think the channel entry part can exist in the
>> background script.
>>
>>  Can anybody offer some advice?
>
> Have MythTV call a wrapper script. Add a call to your actual channel
> changing script in the wrapper, and run that call in the background.
>
> Return true from the wrapper script immediately so that MythTV is
> always happy that the channel change took place, and let your channel
> changer take as much time as necessary to actually change the channel.
> (Note that this simple approach will not report occasions if the
> actual channel change failed.)

I am a little lean on the knowledge to do this effectively.  I followed an
example where someone else had done something similar.

In the script that MythTV calls, I only included:
/usr/lib/bin/changesub.sh &
where changesub.sh is the real change script.  The previous example noted
that the '&' is used to run the script in the background and allows the
primary script to finish.  I could however have understood this completely
wrong.

In changesub.sh, I entered things that would normally be present in the
script as if it were called directly.

Are there some other script / subroutine commands necessary to make things
work properly?

Thx
Scott