[mythtv-users] Does screen resolution significantly affect image quality on SD TV?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 22:12:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been running the display at
> 1024x768 but it seems like the image is slightly softer. I am not sure
> what mythtv does when my screen resolution is at 1024x768 but my
> output from the card is set to HD480i. Is it upscaling all of my
> recordings to 1024x768 and then the card is outputting an analog
> version of that? Or is the card downscaling it back to 640x480 because
> it knows it is a 480i output?

I believe that Myth is scaling your recordings up to 1024x768 and then the
card is scaling them down to 480i. That would be the source of your quality
drop.

I am aware of and do have an Xvnc server running which allows me start
> a session with a higher resolution for vnc connections, but I find
> that I frequently want to quickly do something in the current session
> that is on my TV rather than starting a 2nd session over vnc.

Two other options would be to run a second X server at a higher resolution
on a different virtual terminal (so you can just hit ctrl alt Fx to switch
between them) or to just define a second, higher resolution in your X config
and use ctrl alt + and ctrl alt - to switch it as necessary.

Regards,
Steve