[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Fri Mar 20 16:54:56 UTC 2009

> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:42:05 -0400
> From: Mark <fairlane at springcom.com>

> Not to mention that without the infrared radiation given by the sun, the
> earth cools off VERY fast.  Winter anyone?  Anthropogenic global warming
> doesn't even pass my common sense meter.  It's a matter of scale.

Regardless of arguments regarding global warming, cooling or just random
climate change, it is pretty well established that the carbon dioxide
content of the atmosphere has risen dramatically in the last century.
While it is not at its highest level ever, the rate of increase may be
alarming.

Of course we do not have direct measurements of CO2 content going back
very far, but gasses dissolve in water and ice.  Therefore fossil layers
of ice contain an archaeological record of atmospheric gas content going
back thousands (more?) of years.

My simple point is that if we accept environmentalists at their word that
carbon emissions are bad, then why did they cause them in the USA?  Which
one of their goals is the real one?   Or is the real goal to lower our
standard of living and drive us *all* to *their* idea of the "proper" way
to live?

Wealth gives choices.  Poverty takes away choice.  If we make ourselves
poor, we also steal opportunity from everyone.

Jeff Walther