[mythtv-users] input priorities?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 20 00:22:15 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 March 2009 16:21:05 Gordon McLellan wrote:

> Some shows I would like to record in HD if possible, and if not,
> record in SD.  To achieve this, I have set their schedules to record
> one showing a week, filtered for new episodes only.  This also helps
> with the seemingly random timeslot changes the networks are doing to
> screw with DVR owners, like shows starting at 9:02PM either don't
> match a 9:00PM schedule, or lose 2 minutes off the end of the program.

I doubt that the primary goal is to "screw with DVR owners", though that might
be one of the effects. Remember that most DVRs are marketed and rented by the
cable/satellite operators, who in many cases are the same as the program
originators. They want you to watch their programming, and will not make it
difficult. A view via DVR counts as much towards a Neilson rating as a live
view, this is why Neilson is now putting code in the audio to track such
things.

Usually the reason for this sort of thing is to try and gain viewers. When the
program they are watching ends, and the commercials begin, many people start
to switch channels When they see "commercial-commercial-commercial-program"
they stop on the program, and the hope is they will continue to watch.

This sort of thing is nothing new. remember when WTBS (nee: WTCG) started
programs 5 minutes late/early? Then there is the Mountain Time Zone, where,
because the stations had/have to time shift, they are able to play with the
timing of network programming, resulting in after-news programs starting at
10:35. At one time the goal was to get your news show on before anyone else,
so the channel surfers would encounter your news show first, and hopefully
stay with it.

Usually anything that is a live network feed out of New York or the like will
be pretty timely, the problems are usually the independents, or anyone who is
capable of changing the timing of the programs.

--
beww
beww at beww.org