[mythtv-users] myth front end on new mac mini core 2 duo?

Damian Haslam damian at dickson.st
Thu Mar 19 21:39:42 UTC 2009

David Miller wrote:
> Damian Haslam wrote on 3/17/09 11:44 PM:
>> Does anyone have an direct experience (or know someone/URL) of
>> getting one
>> of the new Mac Mini (upper model - the one with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
>> with 256MB of shared DDR3 SDRAM) working with the OS X mythfrontend ?
> FWIW, I put 4GB of RAM into mine (after receiving it, since Apple
> charges too much to have them do it), and after the RAM upgrade, the
> nvidia config utility reports 512MB of VRAM.
> It certainly seems nice and speedy.

That's interesting - in .au our options for the mini are 2.0 GHz, with
either 120Gb HDD or 320Gb HDD. They also differ on the video - the cheap
one has NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 128MB of shared DDR3 SDRAM and the
expensive one has 256MB. THe System memory likewise is 1Gb, and 2Gb.

So, if I get the cheap one, and upgrade the RAM to 4Gb, I'll effectively
have exactly the same as the expensive one, but cheaper? I'm no HW
expert (clearly) but the VRAM thing seems related to the system memory?

The "expensive" one is au$1400, the "cheap" one is $1049 - obviously
quite a large difference, but is it really justified hardware-wise?