[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 19 15:58:46 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 March 2009 09:36:48 Chad wrote:

> Very interesting!  Thank you very much for your insight.  As we run
> from nuclear energy, what forms of energy production do you suggest
> should we be running towards?  If that reads sarcastic, it's not.  I'm
> honestly interested in what your opinion is for a real fix to the
> problem if nuclear isn't it.

I too found his post interesting, nice to hear from somebody who actually
worked in the industry.

As for the "real fix", it doesn't exist, short of us all leaving the planet
(in a way that doesn't cause it more problems).

Simply by existing, billions of humans effect the planet, simple as that. If
you want to go from New York to California, or even drive to work, there is
just no way to do it that does not require energy, and no way to generate or
control that energy that does not have a negative impact on the planet,
according to at least one party's definition of "negative impact".

Since it is unlikely we will all voluntarily commit suicide, or leave the
planet, we are left with trying to choose the method of existing that has the
minimum impact, but again different people have different definitions
of "impact".

Wind turbines kill birds (and now, apparently, bats). Manufacturing
photovoltaic panels creates toxic wastes, and requires energy. Compact
flourescent lamps are actually a net loss to the planet, once the energy to
make them and transport them is taken into account, notwithstanding the
mercury problem.

The fact that you are seeking a "real fix" is the problem, there simply is
none. All we can do is try to minimize the impact of our mere existence,
knowing that we are unable to really predict the long-term effects of
anything we do, or know what impacts are really serious and which are
illusions.

Until we admit that there is no "real" solution, we will continue to pursue
unrealizable dreams, and not come to grips with the reality of the situation.

Unrestrained population growth is the "real" problem, but try telling that to
the Octo-Mom, or people in developing countries. China is the only country
that has admitted that to itself, and they are attacked on all fronts for
even trying to do something about it. Every human born condemns many other
animals to death, quickly or slowly, the planet can only support so many
living beings for so long.

--
beww
beww at beww.org