[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:36:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Carl Reynolds
<mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com> wrote:

> I worked in the US Navy Nuclear Power program in the 1970s and help with the
> construction and operation of several nuclear power plants. I also have a
> degree in Physics and studied Nuclear Engineering and Nuclear Physics in
> school. It was the lax standards used by builders of civilian nuclear power
> plants that caused me to decide not to continue  my career with nuclear
> power when I got out of the Navy. Your implications that nuclear power is
> perfectly safe and it is only the rantings of a few radicals that have
> convinced the public that nuclear power can not be trusted have no basis in
> fact.
>
> The fact is that there have been numerous accidents in US nuclear power
> plants because of short cuts being taken in construction and training of the
> people who run them. Most of the accidents are not serious enough to have
> been brought to the public attention, therefore you may be excused for not
> being aware of them, You are correct that the dangers of exposure to
> radiation from any nuclear power plant in the US are quite minimal. However,
> you, along with every one else who discusses the pros and cons of nuclear
> power have ignored the two major issues that make nuclear power plants a
> menace.
>
> First, no one has come up with a way of safely disposing of the huge amounts
> of radioactive waste generated by a nuclear power plant. When a plant is
> operated for a period of twenty years (the minimum amount of time necessary
> to break even on the construction cost of the plant) it will generate a mass
> of radioactive waste equal to the mass of all the material that went into
> the original construction of the plant. Also keep in mind that it is not
> safe to operate any nuclear power plant for more that forty to fifty years
> because of  the deterioration of materials due to exposure to radiation.
> This deterioration requires complete replacement of the plant at end of life
> leaving another vast pile of radioactive material.
>
> The radioactive waste from a nuclear plant will remain deadly for thousands
> of years  after the original plant has ceased to exist. We have absolutely
> no way to guarantee that we can protect future generations from being
> exposed to this radiation. We bury it in the ground and hope that the ground
> around it stays stable and put up signs that say 'Don't dig here', but who
> is to guarantee that the signs will continue to exist a thousand years from
> now or that people will be able to read it? When I've asked people in the
> industry how we are dealing with this, the response is always, "We'll figure
> that out at some point, but nuclear power is too important now for us to
> hold off on production while we figure out how we will protect people in the
> future from our radioactive waste."
>
> The second, and possibly more important, issue with nuclear power is that it
> [...]

Very interesting!  Thank you very much for your insight.  As we run
from nuclear energy, what forms of energy production do you suggest
should we be running towards?  If that reads sarcastic, it's not.  I'm
honestly interested in what your opinion is for a real fix to the
problem if nuclear isn't it.

Thank you,

-Chad