[mythtv-users] Announce: 0.21-fixes with vdpau ubuntu repository

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Mar 18 03:21:36 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves -

First off, I'd like to thank you for all the work you've put in here.
It's definitely appreciated.

I have two questions:

(1) My Myth setup is on Ubuntu 8.10 64bit, using the usual Ubuntu
repositories plus Medibuntu; all of the latest available binaries have
been installed. Obviously, I have this fully backed up.  I have just gone
through your instructions, and all went well until (as above) I ran into
an issue with nvdia-glx-180 (due to already-installed nvidia-glx-177):

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-180-libvdpau_180.37-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb:
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1', which is also in package
nvidia-glx-177

Removing nvidia-glx-177 will remove a lot of the X server stuff along with
ubuntu-desktop.

I would assume that I'd rather have the 180.37 version of the vdpau
library than the 177.x versiom.  However, I obviously don't want to lose X
functionality and the GNOME files, which I do use on this machine
occasionally (though the Myth user is running WindowMaker).

Suggestions?

(2) After installing your binaries, will there be any issues in upgrading
to mainline 0.22, when it comes out?

Thanks again -

Bob