[mythtv-users] Serial control of a TV

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Mar 17 14:03:09 UTC 2009

> Does anyone know if USB Serial adapters work with this application?

For stuff like this (where it is a true serial communication), I
believe they should work just fine. The stuff that usually has
problems with the USB adapters are those that use the port as a
general purpose I/O port and don't follow the typical serial protocol.

> Ron, do these details look the same as what you used?
> http://marketing.optomausa.com/PDFs/usermanuals/Optoma_HD80_Manual.PDF  (end
> of manual)

No, that's definitely a different protocol. However, it's similar in
that it's just "send a block of text, receive block of text". You
could probably modify my code. You'd have to change the commands that
get sent and responses that come back. You may have different gotchas
related to timing, hiccups, etc. In the end, I don't know how useful
it would be...you may be better off just using it as a guide and
writing your own.

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/