[mythtv-users] Serial control of a TV

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:36:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> > How difficult would this be to do for the Kuro?
>
> Sorry, but I don't know anything about that TV. The sharp was only
> easy to do because of something that I found incredibly shocking, but
> geeky (in a good way): they actually document the serial protocol in
> the the back of the owners manual. They tell you baud rates/bit
> config, how commands are issued, what types of responses you get, and
> then provide a table documenting each command code you can issue and
> in what ways it can be used. I'm not accustomed to electronics
> companies providing such useful info those days without making you
> jump through hoops.
>
> If you can find the protocol and have a bit of coding skill, you can
> probably make your own script, using mine as a reference for how to
> use the Device::SerialPort module. However, beyond that it's hard to
> say how useful my code would be, since your TV probably communicated
> very differently. If you want to take a stab at it, maybe the people
> in avsforums.com can help you out (or maybe they've already done it).
>
> --
> Ron
> Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/
> Blogging About Photography - http://ronfrazier.blogspot.com/

I am interested in this as well.  I have a Optoma HD-80 projector.  It is
used for two purposes, MythTV and Blu Ray. Currently I have a Harmony remote
but for some reason the thing wont turn off.  It always misses the double
push of power from the remote.  So i have to manually click it.

I does have a serial port and I have tried using it before.  Optoma said
could test with just by using hyperterminal to connect to it but I could not
ever get any response.

Does anyone know if USB Serial adapters work with this application?

Ron, do these details look the same as what you used?
http://marketing.optomausa.com/PDFs/usermanuals/Optoma_HD80_Manual.PDF  (end
of manual)

Thanks,
Mitchell