[mythtv-users] Freeview & Freesat combined (UK DVBT & DVBS)

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Mon Mar 16 13:24:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, March 16, 2009 12:33 pm, Andre Newman wrote:
> I'm finding my system is scheduling the same show on Freeview and
> Freesat sometimes, when it understands that the same show is on both
> it often (not always) schedules for Freesat claiming that Freesat
> starts earlier! The schedules say exactly the same and I'd thought
> that DVBS would arrive later as it's got 44000 miles further to
> travel ;-)
> Most of my schedules are "record on any channel" to make use of the +1
> channels to help with schedule conflicts, I'd hoped that the DVBS
> channel duplicates would get called in to help here too, sometimes
> they do but not in a consistent way.

You need to find a way to tell Myth that channels on DVB-S = channels on
DVB-T.  I think this means you have to give them the same channel number
and callsign - that way Myth knows they are the same.  How this affects
guide data when using EIT, I'm not sure, but I used to have a DVB-S +
analog mix and used uk_rt to make sure the analog and DVB-S channels got
the same listings (at the same times) and that seemed to work ok.

> Is there some accepted wisdom as to the best way to configure the
> cards or prioritise them that works well in the UK? Does is all work
> beautifully if you use uk_rt, if so I'll give it another go. How do
> others use this?

I have a DVB-S setup and use uk_rt and find it much better than EIT (but
I've not tried EIT for some time)

Robert.