[mythtv-users] Random mythfrontend segfault when playing back 480i

Jeremy Thornhill jeremy.thornhill at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 17:19:34 UTC 2009

I have a Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i card, which I've been using to record
ClearQAM from my cable provider.  The normal "high def" recordings
captured by this card play back just fine, as do the recordings from
my Hauppauge NTSC tuner.

However, there's a 480i ("SD") channel that I occasionally have to
record from.  When playing these recordings back, mythfrontend will
frequently (but not always) segfault; dmesg looks something like this:

mythfrontend[12642]: segfault at 923f0047 ip b65a8a61 sp b39a2eb0
error 4 in libqt-mt.so.3.3.8[b6093000+6a6000]

Note that I can play a recording multiple times and see different
results - it might segfault right away, it might segfault later during
playback, it might segfault not at all.  Also, mythcommflag and
transcode jobs for these recordings seem to segfault randomly as well.

I'm currently running gentoo, with the latest mythtv .21 fixes ebuild
(19961).  This behavior exists in other versions of the ebuild as
well.  I have a stack trace that I can post as needed.

Thanks,
Jeremy Thornhill
jeremy.thornhill at gmail.com