[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 22:46:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Evuraan::ഏവൂരാന്‍ <evuraan at gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW,  I would ask you this rather : if you went with the cheaper
> drive, is it going to cost you $22.00 for power during its life time?
>
> very Likely not.  I'd take the $$ savings upfront.  - thats just me though. :)

On my system, idle power draw was reduced by 4w with the GP.  I pay
about 15c / kWh.  My MythTV system runs 24h/day, reducing my power
consumption by .  So it saves me about 1.5c/day in electricity, or
about $5/year.  Will the drive last 4 years?  Probably, but maybe not.
 But the other benefits of the drive (lower heat, quieter, less noise)
are worth the slight increase in cost to me even without the power
savings.  That's just gravy. :-)

-Dave