[mythtv-users] migrating a backend

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 12 01:54:36 UTC 2009

On Wed Mar 11 21:51 , Jason Weida  sent:

>I've done some googling, wiki-searching and a gossamer search and have not typed
in the magic words that would point me to a good set of instructions on what
needs to be done in order to migrate to a new backend.  Well, really not so much
new.  I'm planning on wiping my current ubuntu based backend (where Myth was
added as an afterthought) and installing mythbuntu on the same machine.  I've got
my OS/DB on a 40G drive, my recordings on a 160G drive.  I'm also adding a new
250G drive for additional storage space.

>I've found and downloaded mythconverg_backup.pl and mythconverg_restore.pl and
feel comfortable running those, but without some solid reassurance, I don't yet
have the guts to pull the trigger on this migration.  I'd obviously like to
retain all my recordings, commercial scans, recording schedules and recording
history, which I assume is all covered in the database backup, sans the
recordings which will remain on the same 160G drive.  The rest is easy enough to
set up (installing my HDHR, SchedDirect info).

>So, here's my plan:
>1. backup the database using the mythconverg_backup script and copy to a flash
drive.
>2. pop in the mythbuntu live CD, run through the guided installation, taking
care not to format my 160G drive.

>3. restore the database using the mythconverg_restore.pl script
>4. run through the mythbackend setup GUI to set up my tuner
>
>I would *greatly* appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience with
this.  If I can get some confirmation on my plan, I'd be happy to add it to the
wiki, even if it's just a page that points to the database backup/restore.  I
believe that this would be the same procedure regardless of if you're
re-installing the OS vs. upgrading/moving to new hardware.

This is an awesome plan.. A personal request if possible would be how to migrate
to another machine already on the network. (I want to move my backend to a
general purpose fileserver)...