[mythtv-users] migrating a backend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 23 01:38:21 UTC 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009 19:04:40 Jason Weida wrote:

> The only thing I'm not clear on is the mount point for the storage drives.
> Currently, my 160 GB storage drive is mounted at /myth.  Can I somehow
> mount both the storage drives to /myth and the extra storage space will
> magically show up, or do I need to have two different mount points (like
> /myth1 and /myth2) and somehow indicate to the backend it needs to use
> both?  Seems like when I tried this before, I could only mount one
> partition to a directory (/myth).  If I tried to mount a second drive to
> (/myth), the first one disappeared.

I'm not sure how you would mount multiple drives at /myth, unless you mounted
them on directories under /myth (/myth/drive1 and /myth/drive2).

You are probably better off mounting them separately anywhere you like and
then using the storage groups feature to add them to your system.

Remember that it's best to have your OS, and particularly your MySQL database,
on a different spindle from the video storage. I say "spindle" because merely
having it on a separate partition is not enough, the DB wants to not share a
physical drive with video storage.

How much you can do with a Myth system is very dependent on drive I/O
performance. This can be increased by things like RAID0 or filesystem tweaks,
but unless you are transferring several HD streams at once most modern
hardware will perform well. By "modern" I mean built in the last decade or
so.

> > After all, it's only Television.
>
> This is true, but as I'm sure most of us here like the challenge of pulling
> off the (nearly) impossible ;-).  I'll get a lot more satisfaction from
> this operation if I can make it go super smoothly.  But if not, oh well,
> I'm sure I'll learn from it.

Perhaps we get more satisfaction from a smooth install, but I have found I
seem to learn more from the things that don't go quite right at first.

Of course sometimes you just want a PVR, not a "learning experience".

--
beww
beww at beww.org