[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Mar 11 16:59:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, March 11, 2009 1:16 am, Simon Hobson wrote:
> As it is, I believe in the US the main distribution
> system is split (with DC links) to avoid the problem of trying to
> control and keep stable an AC system the size of the North American
> continent (or at least, last time I looked it was like that).

There are actually three main North American grids, which are not
interconnected with each other.  Eastern, Western, and Texas.  (Yes, Texas
has its own independent power grid.  Maybe in case they decide to secede.)
 Alaska and Hawaii also have their own grids, for obvious reasons.

There are some DC lines, but not to split up the system; the grids don't
connect with each other, and within each grid things are kept
phase-locked.  DC lines are used for long-distance connections because
they have lower losses, and with a long enough run this makes up for the
conversion losses at each end.  The most famous example of this is the
Pacific DC Intertie, which moves hydroelectric power from the Pacific
Northwest down to L.A.