[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 00:27:08 UTC 2009

On Mar 24, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

>> gets locked up and it's carbon negative.
>>
>> I have to admit, it sounds rather good and I find myself asking -
>> where's the catch ? Apart that is, from the cost of covering an area
>> the size of Montanna with PV solar panels, stated to be enough to
>> supply the entire US road fuel demand !
>

> Kind of funny to read this article about how some environmental
> groups are
> trying to stop solar panels from going up in the Mojave desert,
> especially
> since someone a few weeks ago mentioned sarcastically that
> environmental
> groups would try hard to find something they don't like about solar
> farms.
> No nuclear farms, no solar farms, no coal burning...I wish they'd
> give us an
> answer they do like other than going back to the stone ages.
>
> Anyhow, here is the article:
> http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/03/24/sheppard_gore_wind_farm/

I read an article on this recently. Apparently we must 'save the
desert' now. Nobody has wanted to do anything with the barren land for
decades (due to it's barren nature) and now that we find something
that we can do out there, without disrupting too much, and without
creating any undue stresses on the environment, and now that's not
good enough either. I don't even understand these people. I mean, I
truly understand the significance of saving forestland for being cut
down, and oceans from being polluted, but now we can't put mirrors in
the desert? Seriously? I think there's a fine line between
environmentalist and whack job, and some of them get so involved in
the save the earth side of it they forget to think about the reality
of the situation.

~Jon