[mythtv-users] shocking hardware issue

Joe jfwd at phlobus.net
Tue Mar 10 19:36:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI, the machine did boot fine after this, and seemed to work.  The only
> symptom I had noticed before this is that my remote control would seem
> unresponsive, and then minutes later, would suddenly act on all the input I
> had tried to give (like to skip a commercial; nothing would happen during
> the commercial, but a few minutes into the next segment, it would skip ahead
> as though I had pressed the forward button several times).
>
> Any thoughts?

This "unresponsive remote" has come up from time to time on this list.
 I suffered from this issue with my frontend as well for quite a
while.  In fact, I saw some things that looked like complete system
lockups too - where the system did not respond to any keyboard, mouse,
or remote control events for quite some time.

Then I discovered these interesting messages in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (0, 6, 0x0000, 0x00009998, 0x00009998)

They seemed to vaguely correlate to the system misbehaving.

I googled and found that others had improvements with adding a line:

    Option         "UseEvents" "True"

to the "Device" section of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

I have not seen the problems since doing this, so FWIW this seems to
have fixed the problem for me.  Some others may not have had success
with this, but it's worth a shot.