[mythtv-users] OT: Video to two monitors on different resolution

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Mar 10 16:25:17 UTC 2009

I'm looking at getting a new LCD TV. The TV will sit where I already
have a frontend with an LCD 15" monitor in front of a treadmill. I'd
like to use the same frontend PC and display on both the LCD monitor and
the new LCD TV. I still only use SD. No HD yet.

I think my options are:
1) Use a mechanical video splitter. Would send same resolution to both
displays and probably not work that well. Easy, but probably not
desirable.

2) Use an Nvidia graphics cards.
2a) I have one frontend with an FX5200 and it displays on both a monitor
and through SVideo out. This works well on that frontend but not sure
how it would look on the big TV. Maybe with SD it would be fine or not
different?

2b) Get a better nVidia card that has two VGA outs. Connect using VGA
cable to monitor and LCD TV diretcly from the video card. I'm guessing I
could run different resolutions on each display? Would this be any
significant improvement over just connecting with sVideo since I'm only
doing SD anyway?

Any suggestions? Any suggestion on which nVidia card? I'm not looking to
spend a huge amount of money on a video card right now.

Thanks,
James