[mythtv-users] How do I remove recordings without files

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:26:39 UTC 2009

> As I tried to tell you before--in fact, in the second e-mail in the first
> thread you linked above--you /can/ Delete and allow re-record even if the
> file is missing.  You do /exactly/ what you said above, but don't chicken
> out.  When you get the Not Available Popup (that says,
> recording can not be found") you'll see two buttons, "Show Program Details"
> and "Delete."  If you select "Delete", you then get the Delete Popup, which
> gives you 3 options to the question, "Are you sure you want to delete:
> <recording info>":  "Yes, and allow re-record", "Yes, delete it", and "No,
> keep it, I changed my mind."  Then, if you select either, "Yes," answer,
> you'll get the "file is missing, are you sure you want to delete" popup...
>
> Therefore, there's no reason that it should have been "a little more
> involved" in your case just because you wanted to use Delete and allow
> re-record...
>
> Since you didn't believe me before, I actually tried it again just now, and
> it /still/ works properly.
>
> So, please quit spreading nasty rumors about not being able to Delete and
> allow re-record if the file is missing...
>
> Mike

Sorry Mike, I misspoke. I did believe you. I wasn't trying to imply
that the "delete and allow re-record" wouldn't work, but what I wrote
wasn't clear about that. I meant it was more involved because the
myth.find_orphans script as others had recommended wasn't sufficient
if you want to allow re-record, and as has been pointed out that
script needs to be updated anyway. As you pointed out my problem was
that I was trying to delete a large number of recordings with missing
files via a playlist or from mythweb, neither of which will work if
the files are missing. I was just trying to link to those threads
because I know that you and others had explained clearly what issues
are involved and how to do it correctly.