[mythtv-users] mythbackend randomly stopping, where to look first?

jk90090 jk90090 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 21:26:12 UTC 2009

Glen Hawksworth wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am have a problem where at seemingly random times mythbackend stops.
> I believe it is still able to record TV because I don't seem to be
> missing any recordings (but it might be crashing just after the
> recordings finish) but it prevents connecting frontends to it until I
> restart the service (eg. sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart).
> When I do restart the service in terminal I get the message...
> * Restarting MythTV server: mythbackend
> No /usr/bin/mythbackend found running; none killed
>
> [ OK ]
> ...any further than that I am not sure where to look.
> Where do you suggest I look first?
> Thanks,
> Glen
Anything suspect in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log or /var/log/messages
around the suspected crash (I assume it's a crash) time?

If all else fails, you can turn up logging to debug level (On my gentoo
system, in /etc/conf.d/mythbackend , set MYTH_VERBOSE="all" ) so you can
see where the crash is occurring.  Warning, this WILL generate a large
amount of messages, so I'd routinely do a ">
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log " to clear out the file until the crash
happens.  Do you have any core files laying around?  I don't know where
MythBuntu's installation will start MythBackend from, it's /etc/mythtv
on Gentoo.

-JK