[mythtv-users] mythbackend randomly stopping, where to look first?

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 3 20:49:50 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I am have a problem where at seemingly random times mythbackend stops. I
believe it is still able to record TV because I don't seem to be missing
any recordings (but it might be crashing just after the recordings
finish) but it prevents connecting frontends to it until I restart the
service (eg. sudo /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend restart).
When I do restart the service in terminal I get the message...
 * Restarting MythTV server: mythbackend
No /usr/bin/mythbackend found running; none killed

[ OK ]
...any further than that I am not sure where to look.
Where do you suggest I look first?
Thanks,
Glen

Mythbuntu 8.10 i386
P4 3.0GHz HT
2.5GB RAM
1x Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 PCI
2x Ultraview (dvico) lite HDTV PCI
1x Dlink gigabit nic (I disabled the onboard 10/100 LAN)
1x 750GB IDE (primary master)
1x LG DVD Super-Multi IDE (primary slave)
1x 1000GB SATA (sata1 - TV storage #1)
1x 500GB SATA (sata2 - TV storage #2)

I have configured MythWelcome to shutdown and wakeup the server.
I have configured Mythweb to be available via DDNS across the web
I also run Deluge torrent software to download to the /var/lib/mythtv/*
directories on the 750GB and it also is accessible from the web.