[mythtv-users] Recordings Playback too fast on Frontend, fine on Backend

jk90090 jk90090 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 06:01:30 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Fair enough.  For the life of me, from trying various asound settings
>> to none at all, I can't get any change here.  One item that is
>> apparently clear is that if the TV Playback setting "Extra Audio
>> Buffering" is turned off, there is some clear playback issues with no
>> audio regardless of the recording.
> Yeah, "Extra Audio Buffering," is something that virtually everyone
> should use--which is why it's enabled by default.  (Just like
> "Aggressive Sound card Buffering" is something that virtually no one
> should enable--which is why it's disabled by default.)
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/369073#369073
>> I'm suppose a Warpfactor of 1.2 isn't good.
>> I'm pouring through google links to no avail.  If this is ALSA
>> sound's fault, it is mighty frustrating, as only these recordings are
>> giving me trouble for the first time in years.
> Definitely check the stream's rate, as Nick mentioned.  If it's 48kHz
> audio, let us know and we'll explore other possibilities.  Does the
> audio pitch sound incorrect (i.e. "chipmonk'ed" voices)?
It's not chipmonk'd, no.  It's just faster playback, as if I changed the
playback speed in Myth.
> If it's not 48kHz audio, is there any way you can try throwing a
> different sound card in there (one that uses a different ALSA driver)?
That would entail me ordering a card, ugh.

Ok, what's the best sub $75 sound card for Linux?

For those interested, my Mobo is Abit AB9 Pro, w/ Realtek ALC882D
HD-Audio 8-channel via Optical :

# aplay -L
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    Front speakers
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    HDA Intel
    HDMI Audio Output

# dmesg |grep -i hda
HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: setting latency timer to 64
hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC883, trying auto-probe from BIOS...

 # cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfdff4000 irq 22

# cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-00: ALC883 Analog : ALC883 Analog : playback 1 : capture 1
00-01: ALC883 Digital : ALC883 Digital : playback 1 : capture 1
00-02: ALC883 Analog : ALC883 Analog : capture 1

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.18rc3.