[mythtv-users] Recordings Playback too fast on Frontend, fine on Backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 3 04:31:16 UTC 2009

On 03/02/2009 10:21 PM, jk90090 wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Sorry, I meant to say I was going to do both checking the DB and
>>> separately rechecking the ALSA settings.  I still find it strange it
>>> would all start happening after I converted to QAM recordings.
>>
>> Audio may be encoded differently on the cable lines.  After all,
>> cable co's routinely mess with the content they get so they can fit
>> more garbage down their little pipes.  ;)
>>
>> See, for example,
>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271
> Fair enough.  For the life of me, from trying various asound settings
> to none at all, I can't get any change here.  One item that is
> apparently clear is that if the TV Playback setting "Extra Audio
> Buffering" is turned off, there is some clear playback issues with no
> audio regardless of the recording.
Yeah, "Extra Audio Buffering," is something that virtually everyone
should use--which is why it's enabled by default.  (Just like
"Aggressive Sound card Buffering" is something that virtually no one
should enable--which is why it's disabled by default.)
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/369073#369073
> I'm suppose a Warpfactor of 1.2 isn't good.
> I'm pouring through google links to no avail.  If this is ALSA sound's
> fault, it is mighty frustrating, as only these recordings are giving
> me trouble for the first time in years.

Definitely check the stream's rate, as Nick mentioned.  If it's 48kHz
audio, let us know and we'll explore other possibilities.  Does the
audio pitch sound incorrect (i.e. "chipmonk'ed" voices)?

If it's not 48kHz audio, is there any way you can try throwing a
different sound card in there (one that uses a different ALSA driver)?

Mike