[mythtv-users] gentoo, latest mythtv - mythfrontend has no text

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 22:12:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:59 PM, David Brodbeck<gull at gull.us> wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hats off to
>>> Ubuntu, but it's so fat that I can't use it in most situations.
>>
>> No comment... :)
>
> I do find it a little weird that someone who's willing to install hundreds
> of megabytes of source code, development tools, etc., and then wait for all
> of it to install would then decry Ubuntu as "too fat." ;) I guess it's all a
> matter of perspective.
>
> Personally, I liked Gentoo but the downtime required for updating, due to
> having to wait for the updates to compile, was a bit too aggravating.  Now I
> run Mythbuntu.
>
> I agree that emerge is pretty cool, in the same way the FreeBSD Ports Tree
> is cool.

To me, a lean system means: nothing in the kernel I don't want, no
services running that I don't want, no library dependencies that I
don't want or need.  Perhaps that's why I've never had an issue with
having a lowly 526 MB of ram on both my front and backend, in spite of
the fact that everyone says that's nowhere near enough.

If I actually cared about the OS disk usage I could delete downloaded
source, but my entire / partition (even with the mysql databases)
generally has no more than about 6 GB used.

And does anyone running ubuntu actually get away without installed
development tools?  I was never able to even when I used binary
distros.

Tom