[mythtv-users] Proposal for updatng ffmpeg in Mythtv 0.21

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 22:54:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Matthew Grant<matthewgrant5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to do this to support the DVB-T we have here in New
> Zealand.  This would also be helpful for Norway as well.
>
> Scenario is that the VGPDAU backport really isn't enough to do
> everything properly.  Updating the MtyhTV 0.21 to the lastest FFMPEG
> and adding LATM AC3 support would be a good idea.  I am running an
> older AMD64x2 Shuttle with a 4400 CPU, 1MB cache per core, with an ATI
> 9250 AGP card.  My trials with MythTV 0.21 + fixes + patches  from
> Jacque Y Avenard's build of 0.21 indicate that the hardware is capable
> of full 1080p decode, but that it is bottlenecking on the single
> threaded H264 MP4 decode path in the FFMPEG libraries.
>
> I suspect that there is too much UI breakage in the SVN trunk MythTV
> code to make it usable for ordinary users.  I just want something
> stable that will work as I want my technophobic wife to be comfortable
> with it.
>
> My main query is has to port the latest FFMPEG into the MythTV0.21
> tree.  Once I have this done, I would like to work with Jacques on
> merging te patch with his code, and getting it to run properly on my
> limited but capable non-Nvidia hardware.

Jean-Yves has actually acheived a resync of ffmpeg into 0.21-fixes but
the devs asked him not to distribute it, preferring to see effort put
into finishing 0.22. There has been conversation on the mythtvnz
mailing list. http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/386501.
 Whatever your view on the work JYA has done and the myth devs'
reaction to it, I think a resync of ffmpeg into 0.21-fixes is a dead
duck. I also think that there has been enough debate on the subject,
the only reason for this post is to draw your attention to the
position.

You are welcome to join the mythtv-nz list, hope to see you there :)