[mythtv-users] 'You should have gotten a channel lock by now' and signal is locked is back

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Wed Jun 24 22:19:54 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Weird problem I am having:

1. I start watching Live TV

2. Analog tuners using a PVR-500 are the first cards, so I start to see
an analog TV capture.

3. Open the menu and select "Switch Source" and choose my OTA source
that comes in via an HVR-1600.

4. The OSD displays signal strength (which is 0%, by the way, but this
seems to be a problem with drivers, not MythTV), SNR, block errors (BE)
and the text "LAM(lock)".

5. Live TV works fine. I can change channels (and I get a new OSD that
displays, signal strength, SNR, BE, etc. each time), etc.

So far so good.

Now, if I suspend (and this is what I think the trigger is, although I
am not 100% there are other ways to trigger this) the machine (this is a
frontend only machine) and come back later, whenever I repeat the above
procedure I get the message "You should have gotten a channel lock by
now" even when the signal is locked and am able to see a perfect image.

If I stay watching Live TV I can't even change channels anymore -- I get
the "You should have gotten a channel lock by now" message but the image
of the previous channel stays on.

The workaround I found is:

1. Open the menu and select "Switch Source" to switch to my other source
(the one that uses the PVR-500)

2. Analog capture starts to play

4. Now open the menu again, select "Switch Source", and choose my OTA source
that comes in via an HVR-1600.

5. The OTA source via HVR-1600 starts to play in the channel I
previously had switched to.

Another workaround is to restart the frontend -- this will fix things
until the next extended suspend.

No idea what is causing this but it's pretty annoying.

When the machine goes into an extended suspend some TCP connections get
reset. Could it be something related to this? This does not happen with
my PVR-500, just with the DVB source.

I say that the problem is back because I found:

"Channel lock error message even though channel is tuned and displaying fine."
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/305583)

and

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4339
("Channel lock error message even though channel is tuned and displaying fine.")

I'm running 0.21fixes. The frontend is diskless and gets suspended (to
RAM) often. The backend is on all the time.

Any suggestions; anyone else seeing this?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-