[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 15:17:43 UTC 2009

> However, there are bound to be issues that arise as there always are
> on any given setup. If you are close enough and willing to fix those
> things then that is great, but if you aren't then you may just end up
> with someone that hates mythtv if she is unable to address things
> herself (even simple stuff like occasionally restarting the FE after a
> crash or hang are too much for many). Also trading a full cable line
> up for a handful of OTA stations isn't exactly an equal comparison. If
> she likes those other channels she needs to understand she won't be
> getting them.

If you are worried about "support calls", I'd suggest you get a decent
Linksys or ASUS router and install DDWRT.  Then setup the VPN server.  That
way, you could VPN into her home network from any Internet connection and
fix her up.  I'm using that to connect to my home network.  It's fantastic.
I don't have to open any ports on my firewall and I can connect to any
machine on my home network.  Pretty awesome.

As far as the frontend crashing, you can map out key that performs a "macro"
of killing the frontend and then restarting it.  Pretty easy.

Jim