[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 18:14:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Yeechang Lee<ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Given Jean-Yves' report that this issue does not exist in trunk, I
> have reverted the patch and hope that the issue can be fixed for
> -fixes users in a way that does not require transcoding of all
> affected recordings. (As far as I know I never saw the remote-delay
> issue, anyway!)
>
> --
> Frontend/backend:       P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
> Backend:                Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
> Video inputs:           Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
> Accessories:            47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

I definitely had the remote/keyboard delay problem in a bad
way...sometimes several minutes.  What I can't get past is that, even
assuming the ffmpeg patch addresses it (and it seems that it did) that
issue with ffmpeg was obviously there for a _long_ time before anyone
saw these delays.  As I've mentioned before, for me the issue started
as though someone flicked a switch with the upgrade to xorg-server
1.5.3 (under gentoo in my case)...and others noticed it immediately
after upgrading to a version of Fedora with that version.

Since installing the ffmpeg patch there's been a minor xorg update in
Gentoo, and I've upgraded to the 2.6.28 kernel, upgraded to the nvidia
180.60 drivers, and recompiled my entire system with gcc 4.3.2  My
system has been more stable than ever after that, and I've been able
to use OpenGL vsync again with no problems.

Just for the hell of it, I'm recompiling now without the ffmpeg patch
to see if the remote delays return.  I'll report back.

Tom