[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Jun 19 09:47:54 UTC 2009

Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> says:
> The good news is that again running lossless transcode (MPEG2->MPEG2
> or MPEG4->MPEG4) appears to fix both issues. The danger here is that
> the transcode will drop the audio track as discussed at
> <URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1841>.

After running lossless transcode on all 28 pre-2007 recordings that
Josh's patch caused mythfrontend to no longer play, I found that all
now played except four. All four are MPEG2 movies that in 2006 or 2007
I believe, but can't be sure, I ran lossless transcoding on. Upon
reverting the patch, I found that three of the four had lost their
audio tracks (as per #1841); the fourth is odd in that the audio only
starts playing a few seconds into the recording, but once mythfrontend
"finds" the audio it's always there, even at the start of the

By reviewing the episodes of a TV show I have archived episodes of and
periodically losslessly transcoded to remove commercials, I have
narrowed the date range whatever code in mythtranscode produced the
problematic transcodes was fixed to after December 2007 and before
August 2008, so quite possibly 0.21 was the specific event.

Given Jean-Yves' report that this issue does not exist in trunk, I
have reverted the patch and hope that the issue can be fixed for
-fixes users in a way that does not require transcoding of all
affected recordings. (As far as I know I never saw the remote-delay
issue, anyway!)

Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Backend:		Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
Video inputs:		Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
Accessories:		47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list