[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distroswitch?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jun 19 04:37:09 UTC 2009

On Friday 19 June 2009 00:11:13 John Haywood wrote:
> >> Is the switch from 32-bit to 64-bit as painless as it seems -
> >> anything
> >> to watch out for?
> >
> > It's pretty painless all-told.  The biggest issue for me was finding
> > a 64-bit-compatible version of skype.  (...don't ask.  In the end, I
> > wound up not using skype anyway!)  I remember adding the link for
> > the 64-bit-compatible version to the mythtv wiki, so you're set there.
> >
> > Other than that, if I didn't tell you the box was 64 bits you
> > probably wouldn't know just from using it.  It's my backend, plus
> > house file server, maintenance-task-runner, and pretty much every
> > other 'bitch job' I can think of throwing at it.  Runs like a champ,
> > rock solid!
>
> That's encouraging news - I don't use Skype on the mythtv FE/BE, so
> that won't be a problem

Are people really still afraid of 64-bit? I've had my head in the sand
with respect to this list for, well, a while... But my myth backend
has been running a 64-bit install for nearly four years now, if memory
serves. My primary frontend has been 64-bit for around three years off
and on (was a 32-bit Mac Mini for a while, currently a 64-bit Dell
Studio Hybrid, with a high probability of being replaced by something
that is 64-bit and nVidia graphics sooner than later...). Not to
mention my workstations at home and at the office, as well as my laptop
that are all running a 64-bit install.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com