[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Tue Jun 16 04:17:32 UTC 2009

Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>, said on Mon Jun 15, 2009 [09:11:08 PM]:
} Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> says:
} > It takes a desktop-class system about 6-10 hours to check a 2 TB raid-5
} > array.  You really don't want a single large array comprising of 20 1.5 TB
} > drives; fsck would take weeks.
}
} Not in my experience. My 6.6TB software RAID 6 array on 16 disks using
} JFS takes only a few minutes to fsck, and the 1.6GHz Xeon is nowadays
} hardly state of the art (especially since software RAID does not use
} more than one core).
}

any journaled filesystem is easy to fsck, its the rebuilding a drive that
takes a while these days. 20 drives would take a while to init and or rebuild
if you had to. not like days of course but unless you crank up the cpu/bandwidth
limits way up it would be 10+ hours.

--
"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
steve at heistand.org