[mythtv-users] DTV Transition

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 14:52:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Eric Sharkey<eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Tom Dexter<digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I also pointed my antenna toward Philly and rescanned to get frequency
>> changes in that market (again...full scan with minimal updates).
>
> How do you make sure that your antenna is pointed in the right place
> when it's time for a recording?  Do you have to pay attention to your
> scheduled recording list and manually move the antenna in advance of
> each recording?
>
> FWIW, I also live in central NJ (as I assume you do) but I've never
> attempted to do much with OTA broadcasts.
>
> Eric

About the only time I use the Philly stations is for the occasional
NFL game that's only on one of the Philly stations I get.  Other than
that I'm always recording on NY and all my stations come in with the
antenna left at one setting.  I have all my Philly stations hidden, so
they don't try to tune when using channel up in LiveTV with the
antenna pointing towards NY.  That, by the way, was one thing I have
to edit after re-scanning...quite a few of them were visible.

I used to have some trouble with WNET 13.1 (PBS) out of NY that forced
me to use a less-than-ideal antenna position (less than ideal for the
other stations that is).  Since the switch yesterday, with 13.1 moving
to VHF 13 I no longer have to do that, and can leave the antenna where
everything is at least in the 75+% area and most stuff well over 80%
or 90%.

My ideal antenna position right now seems to be about 75 degrees from north.

Tom