[mythtv-users] ATSC EIT confuses show descriptions?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 10 16:00:22 UTC 2009

On 06/10/2009 10:55 AM, Harry Coin wrote:
> I suspect like many people we have an ATSC tuner to get local shows
> and some other video source like cable or a dish.  So we have the show
> schedules from the download service and also can turn on EIT to get
> fresher stuff directly from the local broadcaster.
>
> Anyhow, what I've noticed is that only for the shows that come via
> over-the-air ATSC the descriptions will often be completely wrong for
> the show, though the title is correct.  I have a morning daily news
> show put on by the local broadcaster.   The title is correct as is the
> time and it is recorded properly.  The description regards the murder
> of a bridegroom and the bloody puzzle pieces Stella found in her car.
> Meanwhile Mac had to go back to Chicago to solve his own life's mystery.
>
> It is not always wrong, nor is it very predictable.   Is EIT broken
> and should I turn it off?   Does it have a timezone problem matching
> descriptions to shows?  Something?  What?

Welcome to the United States, land of the useless EIT.

In /no/ case, however--even if you did have good EIT--is the use of EIT
/and/ XMLTV/Schedules Direct on the same channel supported.  Don't do
it.  Don't try.  It won't work.

Use either EIT or SD.  And, if SD is available, you're in an area where
you want SD (because your EIT will be basically garbage).

Mike