[mythtv-users] Problems with Virgin 1 (UK Freeview)

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Jun 3 15:47:48 UTC 2009

Simon Hobson wrote:
> I decided to re-scan to get the new Virgin1 & Virgin1+1 lineup - but I 
> think I've broken something !
> My Myth system is running Debian Lenny on AMD64 as a Xen guest. Myth is 
> installed from the packages at debian-multimedia.fx-services.com.

I don't want to hijack this thread - anyone with suggestions to Simon 
can obviously still go ahead - but clearly many people, including me, 
had problems with the recent Virgin change.  I'm running fixes on fc10 - 
or, strictly, Yeechang's 'bijou' builds from ATrpms.

I had expected to simply perform a 'Full Scan of Existing Transports' 
within the Channel Editor in Mythtvsetup, but every time I tried this, 
or made any other attempt to update the existing setup, I got an 
assertion failure and no update.

When it looks as if the update route, and perhaps the entire scanning 
module, is broken it's difficult (maybe foolhardy - even with an current 
backup) to make the decision to start again from the beginning, but that 
worked for me.

I deleted all cards (I wanted to add a new one anyway) and channels, did 
a full channel scan, clicked  on 'Icon Download' and restarted the 
backend.  I ran Mythfilldatabase which did not, as I had half expected, 
demand that I enter a long initialisation scheme but just recognised 
that I wanted EIT only.  I now have an apparently up to date channel 
lineup with Icons.  It took longer than I had expected.

Daniel has indicated that channel scanning in fixes won't be fixed now 
because 0.22 uses a different scheme.  I look forward to using it :-)

John P

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list