[mythtv-users] Video Editing HELP! (COMPLETE noobie)

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 15:19:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 3:36 AM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:

> Douglas Wagner wrote:
>
>> Where to begin.  I'm not sure if this is on topic, off topic or what so
>> please bear with me and my apologies in advance if this is all wrong.
>>
>> First, I'm using MythTV with a pchd3000 card (the linux video capture
>> card) capturing NTSC OTA transmission (High Def) through Myth.
>>
>> I have, what would at first, seem to be a simple issue.  I have a set of
>> videos that I would like to remove the commercials from.  Yes, I know "Myth
>> will do this for you."
>>
>> I've tried, I've failed...oh how I've failed.  Basically, I can go into
>> Myth's editor, I can mark the commercials and I can do the transcode and at
>> that point what I normally end up with is a video that has lost ALL ability
>> to be fast forwarded
>>
> First this has to be solved, otherwise all that follows will fail
> Do:
> mythtranscode --mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys --showprogress -c $1 -s $2
> In the wiki is suggested to use -f filename,
> but that didn't work for me, the -c -s does.
>
>>  and many times the commercial cut process isn't what I'd like.
>>
>  I have several videos that have gone through this
>
>> process that are now in myth video (having been removed from myth tv /
>> recordings) and thus are no longer in the database.  Worse yet, I have
>> several videos that I never realized I could cut commercials from so all the
>> commercials are still there...and I've lost the ability to fast forward so
>> if I want to watch the movie or show I have to WATCH the commercials.  (Fast
>> Forarding send the "position" counter to the end of the video and it either
>> restarts me from the beginning or sends me to the end.)
>>
>> So what I'm stuck with at the moment are videos in various stages of
>> "broken" some with commercials, some without, most without the ability to
>> fast forward or rewind, and all of them with no myth-tv database
>> functionality so no ability to pull it through a transcoder and wipe out
>> commercials.
>>
>> The myth tv editing thing is something I"ll want to fix eventually but for
>> right now I'm looking for a BASIC tool that I can load a mythtv recorded
>> video into, simply remove the commercials and put it back out in a format
>> that doesn't destroy the sound or otherwise break the video...the ability to
>> fast forward and rewind would be a definate plus but at this point I'll take
>> a video I can't touch that has no commercials in it.
>>
>> This would, on the surface, seem simple enough but I cannot seem to get
>> this to work and I have NO idea where to start.  My most recent fiasco has
>> been using a program called cinelerra.  Loaded the video into it (that
>> worked) it took an hour+ to read in and index (ok, fine) and then I went
>> through the cut process of deleting the commercials.  I managed that.
>> Upon export I had to go to AVI (MPEG4 I think) and after 15 hours of
>> transcoding/recoding, whatever the heck it did, I get my video back.

> [...]

So I loaded avidemux last night and gave IT a shot.  "Better" is a phrase
that comes to mind, at least it's easy enough to use.  Getting rid of
commercials was pretty easy after indexing, and saving instead of a 12 - 15
hour process was about 30 minutes...

That's about as best as I can say.  The video STILL doesn't work, it now
looks like it's playing on x2 and there's still no sound.  I've tried AVI
and mpeg video saving routines, all a no go.

I did not tell it to use an external sound source, but I don't think this
recording HAS an external sound source, the sound and video are all recorded
in the same file I'm pretty sure.  IT is a high def recording so are there
settings I'm missing?

For the MythTranscode line above -c and -s are taking a chanid and a
starttime are they not?  This video is outside of MythTV, there is no
database information for it, thus there is no starttime or chanid associated
with the recording.  It was originally recorded through Myth but was
transcoded and exported (without removing commercials) a long time ago.  The
original video works (sound/video) but, obviously, there's still commercials
in it that I'd like to get rid of.  Thus the external editor.

--Doug