[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 2 01:21:00 UTC 2009

On 06/01/2009 08:28 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
> I still am having remote control delays.  optimize_mythdb.pl is run
> every night and has been for months.  I went into the gnome control
> center and the screen saver was not enabled

Whether it's enabled or not is irrelevant.  The only thing that's
relevant when talking about the screensaver and its effect on MythTV is
whether you're running svn revision 19222 or higher.  If not, upgrade.

I can configure a system running some revision less than 19222 to have
serious delays responding to the remote, and with one command, I can
"fix" it (by breaking the system's installed packages).  A /much/ nicer
way to fix the problem (if it is, in fact, the screensaver-related one)
is to just install the proper version of Myth--anything r19222 or higher.

>  but the screens still
> blank out when you leave them alone.  I think perhaps Myth is enabling
> a screen saver by itself.  I don't see anything consistent in the
> logs.

That would be having X configured with

Option "dmps"

Nothing to do with Myth.

> I erased a bunch of old AI recordings so am not down to 67% on the 1+T
> drives.  My system and data are on one of the drives and data only on
> the other drive.  Could this cause a problem?  I guess I could add a
> new 1T drive and somehow tell the system to quit storing on the old
> drive.  Someone would surely help me through that change and it might
> be painless, more so than moving the system I would think.  But, will
> that cure my problem?

Generally, having the MySQL database on the same filesystem as
recordings is not recommended.  Having it on a completely different disk
drive is optimal.  However, the first thing to do is make sure you're
running r19222 or higher.

Mike