[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 00:28:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/22/2009 10:43 AM, Allen Edwards wrote:
>> The only difference I can think of is that the disks
>> are almost 85% full (1T total on 2 disks) where a month ago they were
>> probably 50% full.  Could that be an issue?
>
> As the database gets more data in it, database access can slow (and, for
> the most part, the database will maintain a "steady-state" size after
> the first year of use with the exception that it will grow with the
> number of recorded seconds of video available--once deleted, though, the
> database will decrease in size).  As database access slows, the Myth UI
> is often affected.
>
> This is purely anecdotal, but I've heard stories which seem to indicate
> that the MySQL database configuration on several of the newest distros
> leads to abysmal database performance.  I don't have any hard facts or
> recommendations, but that's one possibility.  However--unless we're
> talking about SDTV--the difference between 50% and 85% of 1TB (350MB)
> wouldn't be a huge difference in database size.  (For SDTV, though, it
> could be as much as 350hrs of recording--which would be a large difference.)
>
> Still, it makes sense to run optimize_mythdb.pl just in case.  Also,
> make sure your frontend is not swapping.
>
> Mike

I still am having remote control delays.  optimize_mythdb.pl is run
every night and has been for months.  I went into the gnome control
center and the screen saver was not enabled but the screens still
blank out when you leave them alone.  I think perhaps Myth is enabling
a screen saver by itself.  I don't see anything consistent in the
logs.

I erased a bunch of old AI recordings so am not down to 67% on the 1+T
drives.  My system and data are on one of the drives and data only on
the other drive.  Could this cause a problem?  I guess I could add a
new 1T drive and somehow tell the system to quit storing on the old
drive.  Someone would surely help me through that change and it might
be painless, more so than moving the system I would think.  But, will
that cure my problem?

This is very frustrating and my wife is about to make me order Dish
again.  I just don't know why this problem came back.  I could update
things but hate to do it as it often causes spurious problems.  I only
update when I am having a problem and someone says that the latest
stuff fixes it.

Allen