[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 vs. 0.22

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Fri Jul 31 17:06:51 UTC 2009

2009/7/31 "José Tomás @ Chico" <jose.tomas at chico.mine.nu>:

> I did noticed that most people does records, watch media files, but mostly
> not playing DVDs, even CDs.
> When most of ppl try their optical drive only 1 in 10 can read 100%, but
> then even thos verifies that the media is some how technical old...
> I made some posts, I tried to get some answer to understand when and if it
> will be possible to get optical medias working fine in the future.
> Until now I didn't get one, but I may say that I do not read mythtv's posts
> often... sorry...
> Now since my attention is here, does any one know what should wait from .22
> about optical medias?

Howdy José,

Many people rip their music and movies to disk, but I do believe there
are plenty that insert CD's and DVD's and watch/listen to them without
ripping.  The previous replies you received were accurate.  CD and
most DVD playing works fine on 0.21.   A few new movies may not be
readable, but that's life thanks to the DVD CCA and no fault of
MythTV.

You should be using 0.21+fixes (not the tarball) unless there is a
specific reason you need 0.22 and are ready to help the developers
debug (which means READING the mythtv-dev list and not writing bug
reports on known or unfinished items).

   Marc

P.S.  Please don't start new threads... reply to your original one.  Thanks!