[mythtv-users] Corrupt Backend?

William william_munson at comcast.net
Mon Jul 27 21:17:45 UTC 2009

H P Ladds wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I unwittingly ran two backends on my network: one on the FE/BE system,
> and another on a remote FE. I thought I removed the backend from the
> remote FE during installation, but apparently not, as  running
> "/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend [stop, start, restart]" from the remote FE
> would stop, start, and restart a backend.  Also, "update-rc.d -f
> mythtv-backend remove" seemed to remove the application.
>
> Symptoms are:
> Slow and sporadic connection to the backend when trying to watch TV
> from the remote FE.
>
> On both the FE/BE and remote FE, when switching channels, "unknown" is
> displayed for the listing info -- as if "mythfilldatabase" has not
> been run in weeks, but I run it frequently. (My Zap2it account is good
> till 2010.)
>
> Occasionally when selecting a video from my remote FE, I must "click"
> through an entire path of folders ("unknown prefix" > media > hdc1 >
> video) to view the gallery of available DVDs. On other occasions, the
> gallery view of the DVD pops right-up. It seems as if  the nfs share
> between the BE's 192.168.1.123:/media/hdc1/video and the remote's
> /myth/video is recognized sporadically. In either circumstance, I can
> play the DVDs from the command line using "xine -pf
> dvd:/myth/video/directory_of_dvd" -- implying that the nfs connection
> is solid, but the database is corrupted or the connection to the
> database is bad.
>
> Sometimes the "posters" of the DVDs will display in the gallery of
> available DVDs, other times they will not appear. (This problem is not
> exclussive to the remote FE as it happens on the FE/BE machine as
> well.
>
> Question: Is there a command to refresh the mysql database? Is there a
> way to test the connection to the backend and know if it is solid?
> Should I just do a reinstall?
>
> Thanks,
> hpladds

No need to reinstall however backing up your database and then deleting
it should clear up any leftovers from the previous mess. You will
probably want to restore your current and watched program data, I think
there is a wiki page to explain how. I am no sql expert and I am sure
there is a more efficient way to do this however I know this works from
personal experience.

William