[mythtv-users] question/set top box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jul 25 17:04:46 UTC 2009

On Saturday 25 July 2009 10:47:13 Mike Perkins wrote:
> Srinivas Gowrisanker wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > THanks for the reply. Just to be clear that I understand this
> > correctly...
> >
> > 1. Wall to stb to pvr150
> > 2. have stb on ch 3
> > 3. get IR blaster. connect IR blaster to STB or to PVR150? I have a
> > remote that came with PVR150. Should I use that? I also have a USB IR
> > blaster that I can use. Now will this usb IR blaster go on stb or the
> > computer?
> > 4. I deleted everything and restarting. Right now I have set it with
> > schedules direct (wall/stb/pvr150 and stb is on ch3) and doing a
> > mythfilldatabase.
>
> Please try not to top-post, it make the gremlins angry.
>
> You IR blaster has to be connected to your myth back end. It's blasting,
> right? Myth will be using it to send an Infra Red signal to the stb. Your
> USB blaster should be fine.
>
> The thing you plug into your PVR150 is likely a *receiver*, not a blaster.
> It's designed so that you can use the remote which came with the PVR150 to
> change channels on it.

The late model PVR-150s had both an IR receiver and a blaster. The last time I
played with them you had to patch lirc to use the PVR's blaster, but this may
well have changed, it's been a couple of years.

Earlier PVRs had just a receiver.

It should be obvious which model you have, there is a seperate receiver and
blaster head on the included cable with the PVR in the later model units.

I gave up trying to get the PVR's blaster to work, since I acquired a
MyBlaster, which made my life a LOT simpler.

You do need to be careful with the PVR's connector for the receiver/blaster.
There is an angle-cut on the 1/8" connector, and the plug won't go all the
way into the connector unless the cut is oriented correctly, so the card's
bracket does not prevent full insertion. This is poor design, no connector
should ever be designed so that it is *possible* to insert it in an incorrect
way.

An extra conductor was added to the receiver/blaster cable connector when the
blasters were added.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org