[mythtv-users] question/set top box

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Jul 25 15:26:40 UTC 2009

Srinivas Gowrisanker wrote:
> On 07/25/2009 11:01 AM, Marc Randolph wrote:
>> Gowrisanker<sgowrisanker at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Few days back I changed my cable service provider (to verizon FioS)
>>> and now
>>> I have connected the set-top box to my PVR150 coax input. I am not
>>> able to
>>> scan any channels successfully. THe input connections have "no grabber",
>>> "schedule direct" and EIT.
>>>
>>> How do I configure mythtv directly conneted to the stb?
>>>

>> But mythtv isn't connected directly to the stb, correct?  There is a
>> PVR150 between the two.  The coax output of the FioS box is likely
>> always one channel (3?) and they intend on you changing channels on
>> the FioS stb.
>>
>> There was a discussion just a few days ago about FioS.  With at least
>> some FioS boxes, seems people are successful not only channel
>> changing, but also retrieving video directly from it via firewire.
>>

 > Here is how the connection is
 >
 > coax from wall to stb to PVR150 (all using coax).
 > I signed up for schedules direct, did  a mythfilldabase (successful) but
 > when I try to watch TV I only get noise (no actual video).
 >
 > So I cannot use coax? Only firewire?
 >
 > How about not using stb at all? Straight from the wall to the PVR150.
 > My stb has s-video, series port, usb but no firewire.
 > My PVR only has s-video and coax
 >
 > Any thoughts would be helpful. I will also search for the posts you were
 > talking about.
 >
 > THanks
 > Jimmy

To "scan for channels" you are asking the tuner to find out which channels it
can see. The only channel your pvr150 can see will probably be 3 (see above).
You are not connecting myth directly to your stb, so it can't tune the stb. If
you want to do that, you'll have to investigate firewire.

What you are doing now should be fine, but you'll also have to get an IR blaster
so that myth can change the channel on the set top box. You'd get a better
signal quality if you used an s-video cable from stb to pvr150 instead of coax.

You don't have to scan for channels in any case, if you're using Schedules Direct.

--

Mike Perkins