[mythtv-users] Flash streaming through a non-standard HTTP port?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 21 14:36:31 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 08:16:13 Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/20/2009 09:27 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > I am using Mythbuntu 8.04 with Myth 0.21 (long in the tooth, I know).
> > I enabled the experimental Flash server and it works well on my home
> > network which Apache serves on port 80.  Because my ISP blocks port 80,
> > I have Apache serving the Internet on a non-standard port (with
> > authentication).  Everything about MythWeb is working fine except that
> > I can't play the Flash video. The player loads and the video thumbnail
> > is displayed, but when the Play button is click the player screen goes
> > blank and no video appears.
> >
> > I find nothing in either syslog or the access log to suggest a kernel
> > firewall or Apache configuration that is stopping things.  Does the
> > Flash player use port 80?  If so, that will need to be addressed and a
> > new port assigned.  Where might I go about addressing that?
>
> It's a known issue with (what has been described as an easy fix).  See
> http://mythtv.beirdo.ca/ircLog/channel/1/2009-07-07 starting with the
> first mention of "#3859" (no quotes) and pay particular attention to
> what kormoc says.
>
> Basically, the problem is that no user has properly described their
> configuration (port proxying versus proxy server), so Rob was never able
> to figure out what bug they were talking about.  Finally, in IRC he got
> all the info he needed to describe the problem and the proper solution
> (meaning all the instructions are in that IRC log).
>
> Please do up a (proper) patch and attach it to #6692 (
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6692 ).

Although running on a non-standard port is a way to get around an ISP blocking
port 80, in some cases it may violate the terms of service.

Many ISPs do not permit running a server of any sort with a residential
account, and blocking the well-known ports is a way of discouraging that.

I my case my ISP also blocked port 25 as well as 80, and the terms of service
precluded any servers. I signed up for a commercial account, which has no
such restrictions, and the cost was only slightly more than standard
residential service, and also got me a static IP, guaranteed response time in
case of problems and guaranteed minimum bandwidth (unlike the "up to" spec
for residential service).

I understand some ISPs do not block port 80, but scan that port for all
customers and send a nastygram to any customer who responds to queries on
that port.

This may not be the case in all instances, but folks should be aware of what
is and isn't allowed by their ISPs, and we should not encourage the violation
of any such terms.

Many users are not aware that a commercial account is an option, and that the
cost is not prohibitive, at least not in all cases.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org